Six people were killed and one arrested in a “security operation” in Saudi Arabia’s eastern Al-Qatif region earlier this week, Riyadh has confirmed.
The state news agency reported on Wednesday that the operation was carried out on Monday, according to Reuters.
Earlier, media reports said Saudi forces had stormed a small village in the kingdom’s Shia-populated Qatif region, killing five and injuring an unspecified number of people.
Social media users reported clashes, mortar attacks and shooting in Umm al-Hamam on Monday, releasing the names of some of the victims.
Local sources said that Saudi forces had encircled the village for 15 hours and looted houses during the raid, which was claimed to be aimed at finding wanted people, a media outlet reported.
Qatif, situated in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province, has witnessed rights demanding protests since 2011, with demonstrators demanding free speech, release of political prisoners, and an end to economic and religious discrimination.